The Windy 37 Grand Mistral is a truly versatile sports cruiser with a social cockpit area and optional hard top. Windy boats are a product of traditional Norwegian craftsmanship, enhanced with the aid of modern technology. Their sea-keeping ability is legendary thanks to an aggressive deep-v hull design that offers improved performance, greater strength and reduced noise throughout the vessel. The yacht sleeps 4-6 people in a separate master double cabin forward and a guest aft cabin that can be made up as two twins or one huge double berth. It’s no surprise that second-hand models are much sought after.
Who and what was this boat designed for
The Windy 37 is a planing hull sports cruiser with an optional hard top for all-weather use. It offers a stable, well-balanced ride in all conditions and is a great boat for people looking for a classic family cruiser built by craftsmen.
What commentators say about this sports cruiser
Motor Boats Monthly described the Grand Mistral as “Britain’s best driver’s boat.”
She was one of the first performance boats to be launched with the option of the hard top roof.
The 37 Grand Mistral is a genuine Windy classic whose refined and timeless design, solid craftsmanship and excellent sea-keeping abilities make her a popular quality family cruiser.
If you’re thinking of buying a used Windy 37 Grand Mistral, you can choose from a range of variations.
- The Windy 37 Grand Mistral takes its roots from models such as the Draco 3400 Zircon, which evolved via the 36 Mistral into the 37 Grand Mistral in 1997.
- The model did not fundamentally change from launch until the end of production in 2011.
- There were a number of updates on the interior woodwork and many purchasers will choose a particular model year depending on their favourite. Windy introduced the light oak interior finish as standard in 2008/2009 with the option of high-gloss.
- The 37 was traditionally sold with the Volvo KAD 44 or KAD 300 engines. These were replaced with the new D-series range in 2006, which includes the D4-260 or 300 options.
- The dashboard arrangement was updated in line with the engines to offer ergonomic placement of the new engine instrumentation and chartplotters.
- Later boats were available with the option of an anti-glare dashboard finish that could be specified in a choice of colours to match the boat’s upholstery and other fittings.
- The first boats came with gas before Windy decided to fit diesel-fired ceramic hobs as standard until 2006, when the gas system was re-introduced, with an oven fitted as standard in the galley.
- Length overall: 36ft 7in (11.14m)
- Beam: 11ft 6in (3.5m)
- Height including cradle: 10ft 11in (3.34m)
- Dry weight (approximate): 7.165 tons (6.500kg)
- Fuel capacity: 175 gallons/211 US gallons (800 litres)
- Water capacity: 42 gallons/50 US gallons (190 litres)
What’s great about the Windy 37 Grand Mistral
- Available with an open cockpit or optional hard top.
- Social u-shaped cockpit design, which can be converted to a sun-pad.
- Choice of interior wood finish (dependent on model year).
- Easy engine access with electronic engine hatch.
- Legendary sea-keeping ability from aggressive deep-v hull design.
- Class-leading Scandinavian build quality.
- Well balanced and level ride.
- Excellent visibility while underway.
What to look out for on a pre-owned Windy 37 Grand Mistral
If you’re buying a used Windy 37, our engineers have reported some things to watch out for and potential faults that might occur on this boat from time to time.
- The side decks are narrower than some competing boats.
- Sun glare from the dashboard. Fit a dashboard cover or use an anti-glare paint finish to eliminate this.
Keeping your Windy 37 Grand Mistral in shape
When buying a used Windy 37, regular scheduled servicing and attention to some minor points will keep your craft in top condition.
Carry out regular engine and drive servicing in line with the manufacturer’s recommended intervals for the Grand Mistral.
- Service the hard top roof system.
- Service the diesel-fired hob and heating system
We don’t currently have any specific information on laying up the Windy 37 Grand Mistral.
If you have ever owned or worked on a Windy 37 Grand Mistral and would like to share your thoughts, then get in touch and we’ll add your information to the page.
Model specific repairs
- The Grand Mistral is not known for needing specific repairs more frequently than other boats.
Why buy a pre-owned Windy 37 Grand Mistral?
This boat offers great sea-keeping performance with luxury accommodation for friends or family. Norwegian craftsmanship and build quality ensure that second-hand models maintain the Grand Mistral’s legendary status.